iPox Remix – Create Your Own Firefox Theme
Updated For Firefox 3!
iPox Remix is my way of letting the user customize the iPox Firefox theme to their liking. I’ll be giving tutorials and tips to help you either modify iPox or create your own, brand new Firefox theme.
First, three rules:
1) If you choose to publish any version iPox Remix to Mozilla’s addon site or anyplace else, please rename the theme and get a unique UUID. If you don’t, you’ll end up with a bunch of issues. One of the first tutorials will be creating an identity so be sure not to miss that step.
2) Please give me a little credit. I’m not giving you permission to take iPox and claim it as your own. A link or some sort of acknowledgment would be nice!!
3) Don’t use copyrighted material or someone elses work without their permission. Yes, you can use the iPox source to work with, but don’t go taking other theme pieces or elements from the web and just assume that you can use them.
That’s about it for the rules. You can pretty much do whatever you want. You can get rid of the blue bookmark bar, add your own buttons, change the throbber, modify the scrollbars or just use iPox Remix as a base to make your own theme.
You’ll need to know how to create or edit images to customize your theme. That may be using Photoshop, Fireworks, GIMP or another graphics application. If you know CSS, that’ll help a lot to, but it’s not required. Without CSS knowledge, you’ll be limited to the edits you can make.
You’ll also have to have some patients. Themes are not five minutes jobs. The basics make take an hour or two. A whole theme could take much longer. And something like PimpZilla, well that takes tons of time.
Creativity is good too. However looking at some themes out there, it’s not required.
Lets get started!
To get started download iPox Remix and look around. Familiarize yourself with the folders and basic structure. Then I’ll be back soon with the first lessons which will include theme packaging and creating the identity.
What do you want to learn?
I will be taking questions on what areas you want to learn more about. Granted, I already have an idea of what I want to talk about, but if I get a lot of requests for a certain area, I may move that up on the to-do list. Submit your suggestions here.
– Packaging Firefox Themes
– Re-Package Your Theme For Firefox 3.6 (this is for older themes)
– Creating Your Themes’ Identity & Install Files
– Graphics Editing for Firefox Themes
– Custom Firefox Toolbar Buttons
– Customizing Toolbar Backgrounds
– Submitting Your Theme to Mozilla
– Customize Firefox’s Scrollbar
– Changing Fonts & Colors in Firefox Themes
– User Generated Q&A
[…] Remix is a set of tutorials on creating your own Firefox theme. You are provided with a starter theme that contains all the necessary files and images to get […]
[…] know that my Firefox Theme tutorials get a lot of attention, but I don’t always get to see the outcome. One that I know of […]
[…] also partially based off the iPod Remix set of tutorials which is very cool! Possibly Related Posts: Wanted: Starter FireFox […]
[…] I had to re-do the theme structure and install files but I did get it to work. If you are using iPox Remix as the basis of your theme, you’ll need to make the updates as well. I hope to have a how-to […]
[…] by WP Greet Box WordPress PluginWith the release of Firefox 3.6, developers that used the iPox Remix tutorials to create their theme will have to create a new install file. Don’t worry, it’s […]