Recently I’ve been using a free service called Writely. Writely is a web based word processing application that is amazing.
- Full WYSIWYG Editing (in browsers that support it)
- Import abilities for Microsoft Word (.doc), Rich Text (.rtf) OpenOffice (.odt, .sxw), HTML, Text (.txt)
- Export abilities for all the above and PDF
- Sharing abilities with anyone.
- Social editing so that more than one can edit the same document.
- Privacy controls.
- Ability to ‘Star’ important documents. (like Gmail)
- Beautiful Interface
Writely is an excellent service and it’s still billed as beta. I’ve been creating lots of documents and have had much success in importing, exporting and sharing documents.
Writely is very handy for composing a document on one machine and then still having access to it on another. Also great for sharing files with others as you don’t have to email it. You can make edits at any time and the people you are sharing with will see the updated file as soon as they log in. Also good for those that don’t have Word as they can still compose and export Word documents without having to buy Microsoft Office.
I’ve found Writely very helpful, easy to use and a great service. I recommend that you check it out and give it a test run. 🙂
Writely sounds great! I will definitely check it out. And very forward-looking of them, or at least up to date, to include the ability to open OpenOffice.org files.
The only thing it lacks with open office is the ability to export .sxw files. I’m on a Mac and that’s what OO currently uses. (They are not to 2.0 yet)